1917 - Russian Emperor issued the order, according to which was set up Polytechnic Institute in Tbilisi, the first Higher Educational Institution in Caucasian region.
1922 - Was founded as a polytechnic faculty of Tbilisi State University.
1928 - The Departments of the polytechnic faculty merged into an independent Institute and named Georgian Polytechnic Institute (GPI).
In the 70’s - The Institute consisted of 15 full-time and 13 part-time faculties.
1985 – 1987 - For the volume of the advanced scientific researches and works carried out by the students, Polytechnical Institute took first place in the USSR higher educational institutions. During this period, the Institute became the largest higher educational institution in the Caucasian region for its students (total 40 000) and academic staff (total 5000).
1990 - Georgian Polytechnic Institute was granted the university status and named as the Georgian Technical University.
1995 - Due to reforms and restructuring of curriculum, GTU gradually began installation of new training standards introducing Credit System –120 of the UK credits.
2001 - GTU became a full member of the European University Association – EUA.
2005 – GTU joined Bologna process and introduced 60 ECTS credits.
2005 - Due to the reorganizations conducted at GTU, 8 Faculties were set up.
2007 - GTU was awarded accreditation by the National Center for Educational Accreditation.