College of Architecture, University of Khartoum, Khartoum
Urban Design and Landscape
The main idea of the project is to be suitable for all the different cultures in Khartoum and how to create different urban spaces to live and make a strong… more
BIM Architecture more
I would like to start your project review with a quote “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.” I thought this one describes the best your project. I really like the idea on which you elaborated your concept, because the main point in doing architecture its humanity in fact, we design for people we somehow generate paths in both emotional and psychological way of how people interact with space we tend to create.
Your project theme “The Tiny Housing Movement” it is definitely an awesome choice and the idea to a stronger connection between building and outdoor space has been managed in a professional way by respecting the nature we respect the human race itself.
I absolutely appreciate the sustainability used in the design to maintain integrity of the contemporary “living concept” such as green rooftop and climbing trees and the traditional material used like “sudanese Haseer” makes your buildings unique.
What I suggest for you, it’s just a little more “aesthetics” in architectural presentation, although you absolutely did an amazing job keep on doing amazing architecture and try to focus more in the theme you chosen to do this whole project because it will really have an impact in contemporary architecture.
Endrit J Sadiku
The main idea of the project is to be suitable for all the different cultures in Khartoum and how to create different urban spaces to live and make a strong connection between building and outdoor spaces. It provides all the necessary services for all age groups, It shall be respectful of the nature around it (providing trees and water bodies to cool the project and preserving the existing trees on the site for use in the project) and the site in which the project is located and providing all the required privacy.
1.1. Project location :-
The project is located in Sudan, Khartoum, Khartoum Bahri, Al-Waburat, there is one main road: Al-Mauna Street. The site near central station- Bahri.
1.2. Project purpose :-
The immense increase of population in Khartoum is the main reason for the houses demands increase because it is the center of cervices. And due to the declivity economy and the shortage of available, affordable housing, the continued escalation in housing costs, long-term residents are threatened with displacement, which encourages the informal settlements.
1.3. Project aims :-
The main aim is not only to provide housing, but to provide the services that individuals need to be close to their workplace to motivate them to meet higher needs to reach self-actualization, inspired from Maslows hierarchy of needs (needs lower down in the hierarchy must be satisfied before individuals can attend to needs higher up).
1.4. Project approach :-
Taking into consideration all interaction that would take place in this one project, by a variety of people, by studying all aspects (social-physical-economic-cultural) that affect making the design usable by all to the greatest extent possible.
1.5. Project objective :-
1. Accessibility and affordability.
2. Use the space as a most efficiency.
3. Using low cost materials and finishes.
4. Hierarchy of spaces.
6. Stable and comfortable expansion.
7. Minimize horizontal expansion.
8. Achieve environmental needs to make the place more lively and healthy.
9. Reside the maximum numbers of families in the selected site.
1.6. Project challenges :-
1. Planning small spaces efficiently with providing what Sudanese family needs.
2. Balance between building and open areas.
3. Sociological comfort with good interior design.
4. Providing an integrated residential eniveronment at affordable prices.
5. Suitable environmental solutions design.
6. Suitable the social order of Sudanese culture and customs like privacy in building.
* A connected path that takes you on a tour around different urban places, you can know the identity of the places through the mural drawings that lead you in the project to provide in one place all the requirements that users need.
* The use of different types of materials and different textures and colors depending on the colors of the buildings around the site to make a link between the project and the site and the different use of materials and gradation in the spaces from open, to shaded, to closed to create different impressions in one project and provide multiple options to choose between them.
* Make the visual connection between buildings by color and small pixelated units to reflect small house units around the site to give a different identity to the project.
* Use green roofs for reducing heat gain and cooling the air units.
* Use high apartment buildings (in the west) to shade the social courtyard and other apartment buildings.
* Because climate (hot arid) in Khartoum, use a frame with climbing tree fixing in high apartment buildings and not shaded to reduce heat gain and use more trees to help in shading and cooling.
* Use large windows at south and north to give full daylight and full view without heating.
* Use traditional material (sudanese Haseer) as shading element in roofs, because it was natural and inexpensive.
* Use roof top of apartments buildings for collecting the water from rain, to reusing in housing by going through pipes and filtering. Additionally saved in storage tank then use in apartments.
* Use double roof in that roofs are not included green roofs.